The Walker Kings
- Fortress Walls. The 10 foot thick, 15 foot high fortress walls are made of solid granite. The walls are capped with parapets to enable the guards to have some cover during battle. A six foot wide catwalk enables the guards to walk a complete circuit around the fort, simply staying on the walls. Guards constantly patrol the walls, keeping watch in every direction. Pyracantha thorn bushes grow at the base of the walls.
- Towers. The two-story towers are 25 feet high. There is a ballista mounted on each roof. Each tower roof is watched over by a pair of sentries.
- Main Gates. These 20 foot wide gates are fashioned of granite and metal. They open at dawn, and close when darkness falls. People who wish access during the closed hours better have influence with the leader of Altaruk, or at the very least, connections with the guards.
- Keep. This inner building is the home of Arisphistaneles, also known as the captain, the leader of Altaruk.
- Barracks. This long structure quarters the mercenary guard force. The small structure attached to the barracks is the quarters of Zul Akfrenar, the mul who commands the mercenaries.
The guards are mercenaries of all races, though predominantly human and mul. They carry distinctive mekillot hide shields, each decorated with the symbol of Altaruk.
- Water Source. A narrow but deep well ringed with stones stands in the middle of the courtyard. It is always watched by three guards.
- Homes. Built into the walls of the fortress and as stand-alone buildings, these are the quarters of the 1,200 people who dwell permanently in Altaruk.
- Stables. 100 kanks are stored here. These are the mounts for the fortress cavalry. In addition, visitors may stable their mounts here and expect them to be tended and cared for. The cost is two ceramic pieces per mount per night. There are always two guards on duty here.
- The Four Bits. A stone tablet fastened next to the door shows a rendition of four bits of a ceramic piece, grouped together in a semi-circular arc. The two-story inn is run by Gelrade Osnabryk, a female human. Due to the plentiful city guard, no bouncers are needed.
Accommodations are five ceramic pieces per night, which includes two meals and six drinks. Separate meals cost one ceramic piece, and most drinks cost four bits.
- Warehouse. This large storage building takes care of the needs of the caravans. PCs can have items stored here for one 50 ceramic pieces per day per 10 square feet of space. The warehouse is always watched by two guards.
- Traders Row. This is the name given to the avenue of booths and small shops run by the natives of Altaruk. Due to the frequency of caravans from all over Athas, the selection and quality of goods is impressive.
- Courtyard. This is a large smooth stretch of ground where the people of Altaruk often gather to
socialize. Currently, however, a different breed of folk choke the courtyard: pilgrims, and hundreds of them.
Most mill about quietly, forming themselves into bands of 20 or more. Others merely sit or lie on the ground, trying to get some rest after their grueling journey.